Candy Cane Decorations
Candy canes are the most popular Christmas candies all around the world. Not only are they tasty, but their shape makes them great to use as decorations on Christmas trees! This season, your child will make his very own candy cane decoration. Though it isn’t edible, it’s a great way for them to learn how to create a repeated pattern using texture. He can make a bunch and put them all around your home!
What You Need:
• Red construction paper • Cotton balls • Glue stick • Pencil
What You Do:
- Ask your child if he can name an object besides a candy cane that has a cane shape. Of course, canes also have the same shape. But, an umbrella would be another great answer.
- Ask him if he can draw a large cane shape on the red paper. Help him to make it as large as he can.
- Cut out the cane shape.
- Encourage him to unroll and tear apart cotton balls to create lines.
- Show him how to space lines to create stripes. See if he can create stripes too.
- Ask him to place his stripes on the candy cane.
- Glue the stripes in place and hang up the candy cane to enjoy during the holiday season!