Hanukkah Countdown Calendar
This Hanukkah countdown craft will help your little one count the eight nights of the Festival of Lights. Your child can create a Hanukkah countdown calendar by drawing a menorah, and positioning egg carton compartments above each candel. As each day of Hanukkah is counted down, he will receive a small treat in each compartment of the Hanukkah countdown calendar! This activitiy is an entertaining way to build his counting skills and his anticipation for the final night of the Festival of Lights.
What You Need:
- An empty cardboard egg carton
- Poster board
- Paint, brushes, markers
- Small treats: gelt, stickers, tiny dreidels, coins, love notes, etc.
What You Do:
- Have your child draw a menorah and candles on the poster board. Don’t forget to make one arm taller for the shamash. For reference, ask your child to look on line for a picture of a menorah.
- Cut 8 cups out of the carton and discard the rest.
- Ask your child to staple the top of the egg cups above all 8 branches of the menorah, leaving the space above the shamash empty.
- Invite your child to number the eggs cups from 1–8.
- Each night of Hanukkah, ask your child to draw or paint a flame above the appropriate eggcup.
- After bedtime, hide a small treat in the egg cup for your child to discover the next night.