Make Scented Play Dough
Preschoolers can spend hours creating with play dough. Here’s a quick trick to put a fresh spin on an all-time kid favorite. Add in a packet of Kool-Aid powder and your play dough will smell like cherries, grapes, oranges, or strawberries! Your child will be fascinated by her new set of fragrant play dough, but she’ll also be giving the muscles in her hand the workout they need to get ready for all that writing, drawing, and cutting she’ll be expected to do in kindergarten. This activity is easy and fun, and it’s sure to bring a smile to your child’s face!
What You Need:
- 1 large pan
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 mixing spoon
- 1 pack Kool-Aid powder, any flavor
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
- 3 cups water
- Food dye (optional)
What You Do:
- Invite your child to pick a flavor of Kool-Aid mix.
- Help her measure and mix all the ingredients, and put them into the bowl. If you want to add some color to the play dough, squeeze in a few drops of food dye and mix it in well.
- Pour the mixture into the pan over very low heat.
- Stir until the mixture is no longer sticky, and then remove it immediately.
- Let it cool, and then present it to your child to play with! She’ll have hours of fun shaping and molding the sweet-smelling play dough. When she’s finished playing with it, store it in a large plastic zip lock bag. Experiment with different scents for a never ending fun time!