Yankee Doodle Three Cornered Hat
Are you looking for a fun craft for this 4th of July? Make this hat with your child and let him march around the room like a Revolutionary soldier! This project will help teach your youngster about patriotic colors, and boost those fine motor skills while he’s at it. Why not add a feather and sing Yankee Doodle together?
What You Need:
- Poster board in red, white and blue
- Construction paper
- Safety scissors
What You Do:
- Cut 9″ x 4″ strips from red, white and blue poster board. This size hat will fit a preschool-age child. Adjust the length of the strips for a larger child.
- Have your child trace around a star template and cut out yellow construction paper stars to glue on the blue strip.
- Cut out stripes from white construction paper to glue on the red poster board strip.
- Why do we use stars and stripes on patriotic pictures? Where else do you see these symbols?
- The white strip is great for an original drawing by the child or stickers that represent Independence Day.
- Staple the short ends of the strips together to complete a three-cornered hat.
- Glue or tape a feather in one of the corners.
Invite your child to wear this patriotic hat while celebrating the birthday of the United States on July 4th.